Random thoughts of a would-be knitter

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Eve of the Year

Merry Christmas to you all. Sorry that December didn't see me writing much, but I've been really busy finishing (and in some cases starting) the handmade Christmas gifts that everyone got this year. Mum loved her Shalom cardigan, Dad wore his Danica for a Boxing Day stroll with the dogs, Rich certainly seemed chuffed with his Deathflake Simple Pleasures hat, and I'm hoping that Amanda will put her bookcover into action when she starts her new job in January. Luckily, everyone seems to have really liked their presents, which was a huge relief!

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were spent with my family at my sister's house and we ate like absolute kings! Amanda really went to town - she even handmade our crackers! (I think that Rich, her husband, might have helped with mine as my cracker gift was a pair of raw Brussels sprouts! There was also a lovely blue teapot brooch from Folksy, which came after I'd enjoyed the sprouts.) On Boxing Day, David and I headed down the A1 to visit his twin, his wife and their five-year-old boy. We're finally back home and enjoying the peace and quiet of a few days off before we go back to work in the new year. New Year's Eve itself will probably be spent curled up on the sofa at home. I should probably start thinking about some resolutions. Hmmm.

David bought me the beautiful Janome sewing machine that you can see on the right. What a thoughtful gift. This has, of course, has meant that a trip to John Lewis in Southampton to purchase a pattern and some fabric. I'm really looking forward to getting started, and I'm also looking forward to making something for myself for a change! I've chosen a pattern for a dress and a t-shirt that look as if they should (hopefully) be quite easy. Some lightweight denim for the dress and a rather fabulous retro print for the top. I'll take photos as I go along, so watch this space...

Well, Christmas has been and gone and it's time to look forward to the forthcoming year as well as to reflect on the year that has nearly passed. All in all, I'd say it's been a pretty good year; a happy year with lots to treasure and celebrate. It's been a creative year for me and I've enjoyed working on numerous projects, whether they be knitting, crochet, jewellery making or needlecraft. I've loved exploring Etsy and starting my own online shop on Folksy. At work I continue to help produce some of the most beautiful books and I've been lucky enough to be promoted too. The recognition means a great deal to me. I've had a couple of great holidays in Cornwall and Tuscany and I've read some wonderful books. I've been delighted to watch my best friend meet the man of her dreams and fall in love. And I'm thrilled that my sister has finally left her ghastly job for pastures new! Mum and Dad have been out and about on their travels, helping people wherever they go. And David continues to be David - clever, thoughtful, funny and wonderful. So here's to friends and family, and everyone out there - may next year be everything that you hope it will be.

No comments: