Random thoughts of a would-be knitter

Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Lovely Weekend

This weekend started on a great note with a delicious dinner at The Beckford Arms in Fonthill Gifford, near Tisbury. It's only a 25 minute drive from Salisbury, and well worth it. A glass of Garnacha, a goat's cheese and spinach souffle followed by another glass and a wonderful plate of cheese and biscuits. Yum yum! The pub itself is gorgeous and has a really nice atmosphere. It has quite recently changed hands and I was a teeny bit worried that it might not have been quite as good as it has been on previous visits. I am hugely relieved to say that this is not the case and I'm really looking forward to our next visit.

Saturday started early with a short drive out to Nomansland in the New Forest to drop the Volvo off for a quick service. D and I took the opportunity to take a delightful walk in the early morning sunshine through the trees and commons, coming across ponies, cows and these two rather lovely horses. (D took the photo on his iPhone as I didn't have my camera with me.) The early morning sunlight breaking through the clouds was so beautiful I wish I could be sharing it with you, but I don't think my photography skills are quite up to the level that would do justice to such an amazing sight.

After a relatively painless service we poppped down to Southampton for a spot of shopping (thanks ever so much Mum!) and a trip to Goldsmiths to get the mechanisms and bracelets of two members of the watch collection swapped over. Both watches have benefitted hugely and D is simply delighted! The afternoon was spent watching the Grand Prix qualifying from Singapore, snoozing and reading, then out for a run before gorging on D's macaroni cheese. Double yum again! Sunday, so far, has included a lie-in with my book, a bike ride and a spot of knitting whilst watching Formula One. Some weekends are just full of goodness, and this is one of them!

I've cast on a new project this week, with some beautiful Rowan Kidsilk Haze. It's the Lace Top by Erika Knight from Glamour Knits that was also published in the first episode of The Knitter magazine. It's fairly strightforward, but the lace pattern makes it a bit more challenging that just a standard knit. I had to do a little bit of unravelling as I managed to get the lace wrong on the first attempt, but I'm back on track now. It might take a while, but it's a great yarn and a great pattern, and I think it'll make a beautiful top that I will wear very happily! I've also picked up my blanket again, which seems entirely appropriate as we move further into autumn. Nothing is as snug as sitting on the sofa curled up in front of the autumn scheduling knitting a big warm blanket!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Aha - someone else who's significant other is an F1 fan. :)

I'm going to keep Beckford in mind - that goat cheese and spinach souffle sounds fantastic!