Random thoughts of a would-be knitter

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Things I Like...

The sunsine is helping me feel very positive today, and while I was out walking I came up with a list (in no particular order) of things that bring a smile to my face.

1) Books and the Library
This week, I've read two rather wonderful books The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a series of letters to and from an author in the late 1940s after the island of Guernsey had been liberated from Nazi occupation. The characters are delightful and the book itself is gentle, witty and warm. An absolute delight. The second book A Vintage Affair, set in the here and now was slightly lighter, but still had a link to WWII, but was still a really enjoyable read. And as for the library, I seem to get nearly all of my books from the library these days. You can get all the best new books (up to twelve at a time) and borrow them for three weeks at a time and all for nothing - it's brilliant!

2) Long Walks
Today I walked for four hours in the spring sunshine up and around Clarendon Palace to the north of Salisbury. I saw five deer, five humans, four dogs and three birds of prey (might need to get a spotter's guide to help with identification!) and it was simply beautiful.

3) Breakfast in Bed
Which I got this morning, courtesy of the lovely David. Brown toat with peanut butter and sliced bananas with a lovely strong cup of tea and the aforementioned A Vintage Affair.

4) Watching Trashy TV!
Right now I am absolutely hooked on America's Next Top Model, Project Runway, (both on Sky, I think) Gossip Girl on ITV2 and Mad Men on BBC2. It's quite embarassing, but I love them!

5) Being Crafty
Whether it's knitting, button jewellery or books; I love the creative process. Long may we make!

6) Long Langurous Baths
After a long day at work, or out walking, there's nothing more relaxing than a deep, hot bath, preferably with a book and the radio for company. (And I'm heading for one very soon...)

7) Polyvore.com
I simply love this site. I only discovered it this week by accident and I am hooked. Click on the link at your peril as it'll have you sucked in before you know it! It's like all the best things about fashion without having to even buy anything. Free retail therapy! Like publishing your own glossy magazine! Heaven!

Golden Afternoon Dreams
Golden Afternoon Dreams - by Sparkleknits on Polyvore.com

8) My Job
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and although I do seem to come home fed up quite often, I am actually a very lucky girl. I get paid to do something I love, now how many people can really say that? (Time to stop complaining, I think and enjoy my job more.)

9) Capybaras
They're the cutest creatures on the planet. Enough said.

No comments: